Monday, March 31, 2008

Medan



For better or worse, most of my time in Medan is spent within the TASBI housing complex. TASBI is the premier suburb of Medan and the location of my house and office. During the workweek, I find little reason to leave, especially with a driving range and noodle stand near my house. The quite neighborhood is a sanctuary from the otherwise chaotic Medan streets. Many of the residents are ethnic Chinese and my driver tells me that the biggest Sumatran crime bosses live nearby. Because of my Chinese background, my driver thinks I should quit my UMCOR job and become a businessman. Potential business ideas include starting a palm oil plantation or tourist hotel. On my evening walks home, I am able to peer into the lives of the rich and powerful and hear their children’s violin and piano lessons. Attached our pictures of UMCOR's office and my home.

No comments: